The Silver Grove Fire Department was founded on October 5, 1950. Prior to that time, fire protection had been provided by the C & O Railroad, which operated the Stevens rail yard. Silver Grove was started by the railroad to provide a place of living for their workers. In 1981, the department started a life squad and began providing EMS to Silver Grove and the adjacent community of Melbourne. The department ceased to exist in name in 2002 when Campbell County Fire District 1 was created, but the station still operates today as Station 51 of CCFD1.